Visual Culture Producer
Artspace New Haven seeks a full-time Visual Culture Producer (VCP) with strong logistical skills and a passion to present work in contemporary art to the public.
The person in this role will produce Artspace programs, ensure all related operations run smoothly and efficiently, and strengthen our commitment to the City of New Haven’s Cultural Equity Plan. The VCP is also the lead coordinator for our Summer Artspace Program (SAP), a four-week intensive for New Haven public high school students, and the lead producer for Open Source, Artspace New Haven’s annual visual arts festival.
The Visual Culture Producer is dependable, proactive, highly organized, an excellent communicator with a sense of humor and a demonstrated commitment to cultural equity.
JOB TITLE: Visual Culture Producer
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Executive Director and Director of Curatorial Affairs
- Develop and manage programs aligned with institutional goals
- Build relationships with Greater New Haven schools, organizations, businesses, and collectives to strengthen our programming partnerships
- Collaborate with Communications Manager on outreach campaigns for Artspace programs and assist with written and visual promotion materials; share Artspace programs and opportunities with the Greater New Haven community
- Ensure quality gallery visitor and program participant experiences and provide training to volunteers, interns, and staff
- Maintain a thorough understanding of current exhibitions and how they connect to upcoming programs
- Manage interns and volunteers for both gallery exhibitions and program-specific projects
- Support Development Associate with fund tracking and grant reports
- Hold keys and open or close Artspace three days a week, including turning on and off artwork and alerting staff to repairs needed if necessary. Saturday hours required.
- Manage hospitality set-up, maintenance, and breakdown for all Artspace events
- Ensure all spaces (office, kitchen, and restrooms) are maintained properly and cleaning supplies are monitored and ordered, particularly after on-site events.
- Identify and vet vendors/contractors for programs; work with vendors/contractors to coordinate proposals and final contracts to ED for approval
- Create written documentation for all program-related office processes and procedures
- Train staff on technology, systems, office equipment, including alarms, as needed
- Support exhibition operations, including shipping and managing deliveries, as needed
The duties outlined above represent the essential duties and responsibilities for this role. All employees are responsible for performing other duties as assigned. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask and problem solve with confidence under pressure
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Apple devices, G Suite, and familiarity with digital design software
- Bachelor’s degree in art history, arts education, or a related field is a plus or 3-to 5 years of commensurate experience with education and office management
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural equity
- Ability to be flexible and change directions and priorities frequently
- Capacity to execute tasks with accuracy, consistency, efficiency, and attention to detail
- Confidence in working independently as well as part of a team
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
Salary Range: $50,000 – 60,000
The Visual Culture Producer is a 30-hr per week position with benefits based in New Haven, CT. Office hours are Wednesday-Saturday 12-6 pm with work both in-person and remote. Artspace offers a benefits package that includes medical and dental, professional development opportunities, and generous paid time off.
Interested applicants should send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “VISUAL CULTURE PRODUCER” and attach one PDF that includes a one-page resume, cover letter, and two writing samples.
Founded in 1987 by artists, Artspace centers community-building and education while providing a platform to present the work of visual artists in the city of New Haven. Artspace’s exhibition and commissioning programs encourage experimentation and civic discourse while fostering an appreciation for the vital role artists play in improving our community.