Submission deadline: Sunday, Sep 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Artspace, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit contemporary art gallery and community arts organization in New Haven, Connecticut, seeks a dynamic leader with a passion for art and a commitment to its civic role to serve as our new Executive Director. Strategic vision, superb public and private communication skills, and a mastery of managerial execution are essential.
For thirty-three years, Artspace has championed artists and built an expanding audience for contemporary art in New Haven’s diverse and culturally rich community. Our exhibitions, commissioning, and educational programs – offered in the gallery and throughout the city — encourage experimentation, discovery, and lively civic discourse,by advancing the vital role artists play in improving a community.
We believe the creative energy, and social and economic impact of artists and the work they produce, serves as a civic force for racial, social, and economic justice. Artspace celebrates diversity, and seeks to enliven marginalized voices that challenge social and cultural norms and entrenched hierarchies. Our art programs invest in New Haven’s future through outreach that empowers our youth and cultivates future audiences and a growing donor base. Artspace strives to be a catalyst in making New Haven a vibrant, creative metropolis, alive with collaboration, passion, and ideas. The Executive Director will serve as an enthusiastic advocate for this mission, and will have the experience and skills to assure that Artspace continues to marshal resources and preserve its strong community base so essential to its success.
As such, she/he/they will lead the organization’s strategic planning and direct its philanthropic initiatives in collaboration with our diverse, passionate, and high-performing staff and committed Board of Directors. We place significant importance on the candidate’s ability to constructively work with the Board to execute our strategic objectives. There will be significant opportunity to build on existing programs and a license to experiment and innovate – we will welcome and support creative thinking. The candidate must also be able to effectively present that vision to key stakeholders, partners and funders. Importantly, the new Executive Director will be the public face of the organization both at openings and at a myriad of community events large and small, and must be able to convey our vision and inspire civic engagement across our diverse community.
The Executive Director reports to the Artspace Board of Directors and works strategically with the Board and Curator/Gallery Director to successfully fulfill the organization’s vision and outcomes.
- Oversee all programs, services, and operations of Artspace, ensuring that they contribute to the mission and priorities of Artspace
- Develop a comprehensive program to develop new revenue streams in order to progressively grow the financial resources of Artspace
- Conceive, lead, and implement fundraising and donor cultivation efforts in order to: retain and grow commitments from current base of foundation, corporate, government, and individual donors; expand local,regional and national support; and meet or exceed the fundraising goals established by the Board of Directors
- Develop, implement, and accomplish the annual operating plan and annual budget of the organization as approved by the Board of Directors
- Evaluate the impact, efficacy, and sustainability of current programs; establish priorities, processes, and resources for new program development
- Work together with the Curator/Gallery Director to develop and refine the vision for Artspace’s programs and exhibitions to reflect a commitment to challenging and meaningful art that is accessible to broader, more diverse and underrepresented audiences
- Develop, mentor, and retain highly qualified, diverse and committed staff, fostering opportunities for professional growth, shared commitment, and meaningful engagement
- Support the Board to fulfill their governance functions and serve as liaison between Board and staff
- Leverage the power of relationships and networks in Connecticut and beyond for fundraising, advocacy, and impact
- Promote awareness, appreciation, and support for Artspace locally, regionally, and nationally
The Executive Director helms a team of 7 professional staff (2 FT, 2 PT, 3 Seasonal) operating with a budget of $650K.
QUALIFICATIONS (Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience)
- Experience successfully directing revenue growth, and demonstrated success in fundraising and obtaining and managing grants
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage budgets, resources, and multiple complex projects
- Enthusiastic and open approach to envisioning the future of Artspace and considering the potential of the next phase in the organization’s lifecycle
- Ability to exhibit diplomacy, executive presence, and command the confidence and respect of stakeholders, and to serve as an articulate, passionate, and effective spokesperson and communicator
- Passionate commitment to art, artists and community
- Profound understanding of how the arts can be a vehicle for social change, upend hierarchies of race, class, gender, and culture, and challenge the way we see ourselves and others
- Excellent management skills; respectful, inclusive and effective leader with the capacity to inspire, mentor, develop and empower staff and teams
A minimum of four-year degree from an accredited institution in a relevant discipline, or an appropriate combination of education and experience. MFA or MBA preferred.
Artspace believes in a diverse workforce that represents the communities that we serve. Applicants from underserved or minority communities including women, immigrants, people of color, and LGBTQ+ identifying people are encouraged to apply. Artspace is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit cover letter outlining your qualifications with respect to the listed responsibilities, current resume, and the names and professional contact information of three individuals who will serve as references, to email@example.com, with the subject line EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SEARCH. NO phone calls please.
This position is open until filled, reviews and interviews of applicants will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Artspace is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion,creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status, or sexual orientation. Moreover, Artspace values freedom of expression and creativity, and strives to provide creative communities with a space that celebrates diversity of thought and experience. Artspace aims to be an anti-oppressive home to people from all backgrounds and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, citizen status, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender identity. As definitions of expression and inclusion evolve, Artspace is committed to continually revising this statement in collaboration with our communities.