Open Source 2021 Festival
What is Open Source?
Open Source 2021 Festival (formerly City-Wide Open Studios) is Artspace’s annual visual arts showcase, happening on Friday, October 15 through Sunday, October 24th. This expanded virtual and in-person showcase features painters, sculptors, filmmakers, and photographers from New Haven and across the State of Connecticut.
Registration for Open Source begins on August 2nd. A $10 non-refundable fee allows you to submit up to (9) nine images with descriptions to our online artist portal and have them displayed during the festival. You may also distribute the link in your personal promotions in email or social media. Submission is limited to artists living and working in the State of Connecticut. The deadline for registration is September 15.
Artists with studio space in Greater New Haven who wish to open their studios to the public during the Open Source Festival will be able to list their studio address on their portal page for no additional cost. For artists without studio space who would like to participate in person, we will list temporary rental opportunities in the coming weeks.
- Opening night event at Artspace featuring Arts Window projections, Friday October 15 from 6:00 – 9:00pm.
- Open artist studios at Erector Square and Westville, Saturday and Sunday October 16 – 17 from 12noon – 5:00pm
- Open artist studios featuring locations in Dixwell, Hamden, and alternative sites. Saturday and Sunday October 23 – 24 from 12noon – 5:00pm.
- Conversations between artists, curators, collectors and writers: Live and streaming on CHANNEL.
- Hands-on art making. Collaborations. Workshops. Artist commissions. Exhibits. Festival Mobile app to drive audiences to events.
This info session with Artspace staff answers participant questions about registration, events, studios, promotions and upcoming workshops.
For Artists: All artists living and working in the State of Connecticut can participate in Open Source. Learn more and register HERE.
For Galleries: Galleries that would like to feature artists during OS21 Festival can register to be featured in our digital program book. Learn more and register HERE.
For Community Partners: Artspace is inviting community partners to participate by creating complementary events or sharing with us community programs you are already planning during this time for us to feature in our digital program book. Learn more and register HERE.
The deadline for all participants to register is September 15.
- Monday, August 2, Open Source Registration Opens
- Thursday, August 5 at 1pm, Info Session
- Thursday, August 12 at 6pm, Info Session
- Wednesday, September 15, Open Source Registration Closes
- Friday, October 15 6-9pm, Opening Night
- Saturday & Sunday, October 16 & 17 12-5pm, Westville & Erector Square open artist studios
- Saturday & Sunday, October 23 & 24 12-5pm, Dixwell & Hamden open artist studios
Artspace New Haven is currently looking for volunteers to support our annual festival happening over two weekends, October 15 – 24th, 2021. This citywide showcase features New Haven area painters, sculptors, filmmakers, and photographers.
- Marion Belanger, artist and Board member
- Diane Brown, Librarian and Board member
- Lizzie Donius, Westville Village Renaissance Alliance
- Dan Fitzmaurice, Arts Council of Greater New Haven
- Adriane Jefferson, Director, Department of Arts, Culture & Tourism, City of New Haven
- Kathi Telman, Erector Square
- Kim Weston, Artist and Board member
As a special benefit of being an Open Source 2021 Festival artist, we would like to offer a discount price on having a custom website built to lead potential customers. Currently, many of you only have the images on the Artspace festival page, but no link to another site where clients can see more of your work and possibly purchase.
We can connect you with a web designer who will build a functional website for you using the Squarespace platform. (www.squarespace.com) The cost for production is $250 per site, plus the monthly fee to host the site on Squarespace, $26/month or $216 a year.
As an Artspace artist, you can get an additional 20% discount on hosting if you select the annual price. Usually, there is also a small additional cost for a domain name (johndoeart.com) but with the annual plan, there is no charge for the first year.
- After payment, there is a phone meeting or email exchange with the designer to select a basic website and hear what you as the artist are trying to achieve.
- You then will have three days to submit any additional images, features, texts (a resume, a fuller introduction, a bio photo, preferably working in your studio).
- The designer then begins work on the website, then submits it to you for feedback.
- After these edits, the designer will provide basic direction on how to:
- Link your credit card for payment to Squarespace
- Link stripe or Paypal business
- If needed, how to create a stripe or Paypal business account to receive payments
- Make basic updates and changes to their new site
- If you need step-by-step help to get this done, a phone meeting can be scheduled
- Your new website will then be linked to the Open Source site for customer access.
- Your website is now done!
- On-going maintenance is $50hr, billed monthly in 15min increments as needed.
Email email@example.com if you are interested.