What is CWOS?
One of the largest events of its kind, Artspace’s City-Wide Open Studios is preparing for its 21st year. Artists from across Connecticut are invited to open their doors and exhibit their work in their own studios, at the creative complex Erector Square in Fair Haven, and at Yale West Campus. Thousands of visitors and over 350+ artists participate each year in this exhibition the size of a city.
- Participation in one of three festival weekends (Erector Square Weekend, Westville + Private Studios Weekend, Alternative Space Weekend)
- Inclusion of one of your artworks in a central exhibition at Artspace which remains on view the month of October. You are also invited to meet all the participating artists at the opening reception on October 5
- Inclusion of your work in our glossy, 52-page full-color printed magazine & Official Guide distributed to over 50 locations across Connecticut (for the full list, click here), also available free to all CWOS visitors.
- Inclusion of your work, statement and website link on our CWOS website.
- Promotion of your work on our social media networks.
- Visiting curators for each CWOS weekend will visit select artists in their studios or exhibition spaces. Every participating artist will be considered for a studio visit.
Which weekend is right for you?
Erector Square Weekend: October 6 & 7
- Open to artists with studios within the Erector Square complex located at 315 Peck St., New Haven. Artists open their own studios to the public.
- Limited space is available to rent for the weekend, for more information please visit the Artist FAQ page.
- Cost $60
- Open to all artists with studios in New Haven, North Haven, West Haven and Hamden. Space may be available to rent from private studios.
- Saturday, October 13 will focus on the Westville neighborhood. Sunday, October 14 will focus on the rest of New Haven, North Haven, West Haven and Hamden.
- Artists open their own studios to the public.
- Cost: $30
Alternative Space Weekend : October 26, 27 & 28
- Open to all artists living or working in CT.
- Artists are assigned a space at this year’s Alternative Space on Yale West Campus. Learn more about this year’s space here and watch this video for an inside tour.
- For artists who prefer a serene modern office building, set in a bucolic corporate park.
- Free Shuttle buses are available for artists without cars during select times, and for audiences without cars on the public weekend.
- Ample Parking
- Cost: $90
Who Can Participate in City-Wide Open Studios?
All Connecticut Visual Artists
CWOS is open to all visual artists working in Connecticut.
Artist Groups and Special Programs
Artspace welcomes groups who are pursuing the visual arts as part of a collective, social, educational, or community program. If your group has a space used to make art in your neighborhood, it may be opened up to the public as part of the Westville + Private Studios Weekend.
College and graduate students are welcome to register as a CWOS artist or participate as part of a group. Ask your art department if your school would like to participate in an Open Studios weekend.
Non-Profit Arts Organizations
Artspace welcomes other non-profit arts organizations to register for CWOS. You are also welcome to host a special exhibition during CWOS in October. Additionally, we are offering reduced advertising rates in our publications for fellow non-profits.
Please email CWOS Executive Producer Elinor Slomba firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how your gallery can be a part of CWOS.
Important Dates for Artists
Find them all here.
Visit our Registration Page between July 1 and September 1, 2018 to register.