- What is CWOS?
- City-Wide Open Studios, now in its 22nd year, is a month long festival in which hundreds of Connecticut artists open their studio doors or temporary pop up spaces to meet area audiences, share their creative process, network with arts professionals and with each other. Artspace’s CWOS is unique because artists without access to their own work space can take part through the Alternative Space program. Every participant also exhibits one work in a central exhibition at Artspace, where free maps and festival guides are available. Artspace encourages audiences to visit the hub exhibition to plan their studio visit routes and stops.
What’s new in 2019?
Early bird fee: There is now a benefit to signing up early! If you register July 1- August 1 the cost will be $10 less than if you sign up August 1-September 1. Westville & Private Studios Weekend $60 ($70 Aug 1-Sept 1). Erector Square Weekend $60 ($70 Aug 1-Sept 1). Alternative Space Weekend $90 ($100 Aug 1-Sept 1).
Erector Square rental sign up through Artspace: You can now sign up to rent space for the weekend at Erector Square through Artspace. See below for more information.
Sign up for multiple weekends: You can now register for multiple City-Wide Open Studios Weekends at once using our registration form.
Extending into November: This year, Alternative Space Weekend will take place November 2 & 3.
- This is my first time participating. Help!
- Welcome! We are thrilled to invite you to join the CWOS family—there is no better way to become immersed in Great New Haven’s visual arts scene and gain exposure for your work and your ideas. While our festival may feel overwhelming at first, we encourage you to read through the FAQs and look through last years printed Guide. This will give you a window into the breadth and diversity of CWOS happenings.
- All first-time artists are strongly encouraged to attend the special How to CWOS workshop on Sept 22 at 4pm. You will meet key staff who will give you tips and suggestions for everything from artist statements, to pricing your work, to what to bring to your pop-up space (if you are taking part in the Alternative Space). Bring your questions!
If you are unable to attend, we will also make a recorded webinar available, but you will not have the benefit of live Q&A. All who sign up for the Alternative Space should also plan to preview the space on Sept 21 & 22.
- Artspace staff are on hand to help suggest ways to make the most of the experience. If you plan to be, or think you might want to be part of the Alternative Space, and have questions that are not answered by the FAQs below, contact Randi McCray, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a studio or space in Westville, contact Noe Jimenez, email@example.com.
- I am confused by the registration forms. Help!
- Artspace staff will hold a special help sessions at area Libraries (dates TBD) and release a recorded webinar in mid-July to provide further assistance addressing common questions/concerns. Meanwhile, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about filling out the registration form. We recommend you address these questions early, so as not to miss out on the Early Bird discount.
- How do I register?
- We are accepting registration July 1 through September 1. After you submit your info and make payment you will be redirected to a form with further instructions for submitting your information and images to our website. Register Here.
- How much does it cost to register?
- The CWOS festival fee covers your participation in the festival exhibition at Artspace, your presence in an online CWOS artist directory, and your entry in our full color, glossy guide that is distributed to locations across the state. Learn more about the guide, here. Westville & Private Studios Weekend $60 ($70 Aug 1-Sept 1). Erector Square Weekend $60 ($70 Aug 1-Sept 1). Alternative Space Weekend $90 ($100 Aug 1-Sept 1).
- In what format/size should my registration image be?
- The registration form will ask for one representative image of your work, which will be used in on our online directory. The image must be in JPG format. Please make it no larger than 1000 pixels X 1000 pixels.
- I live outside of CT. Can I participate in City-Wide Open Studios?
- No, the event is for artists who live and work in Connecticut. We hope you will submit your work to Artspace for a different call for artists in the future.
- I run an organization in the New Haven area that shows work by contemporary local artists. May I register my location as a Private Studio?
- Yes, if you are curating a show and willing to submit ONE piece of original artwork to represent it at the Opening Reception. However, you will pay more than the standard registration fee. It would better if each artist showing in your space registers individually, as then they will all have space reserved for a work in the Opening Reception and can be found more easily in our directory. Please get in touch with our Executive Producer to discuss your specific situation and how best to handle billing and registration. She can be reached at email@example.com .
- Can I get one-on-one help completing my registration and/or Artist Profile?
- Yes! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time.
- Is completing my Artist Profile required?
- Yes! Completing your Artist Profile promptly after you receive the link ensures that you receive the full value of the promotion that Artspace offers to participating artists. Plus, it’s exciting for everyone to see the list grow longer as it gets updated.
- I am a commissioned artist, with my project selected for installation at the Alternative Space. Do I need to register?
- No. We have your information, and you will not be required to pay.
Opening your studio & exhibiting your work
- In which weekend should I participate?
- Artists with studios in the Erector Square complex should participate in the Erector Square Weekend, October 19 & 20. As extra incentive, we are organizing three curatorial teams to curate shows based exclusively on the art shown at Erector Square during this weekend.
- Artists with studios located in Westville, New Haven, West Haven, North Haven, and Hamden should participate in Private Studios October 12 & 13.
- Artists without local studios, or who are interested in creating site-specific works, should participate in the Alternative Space Weekend, November 2 &3.
- Further information on each weekend can be found on our Artist Info Page.
- What does my registration fee include?
- Inclusion in the Official Map and Guide
- Inclusion in the online directory
- One work in the central exhibition at Artspace
- Invitation to CWOS artist events like the grand opening reception, artist potlucks, and other networkings
- Automatic consideration for the Studio Visitors Program
- A space for a temporary studio if you have signed up to rent at Erector Square or signed up for the Yale West Campus Alt Space.
- Transportation on the shuttle buses to Yale West Campus during Install Week at Yale West Campus Alt Space
- Can I participate in more than one weekend event?
- Yes! You can now register for multiple weekends at once. You may receive communications from more than one coordinator since they’re assigned to different weekends. If you are willing to meet these obligations, then we welcome your additional participation.
- Can I rent space at Erector Square for the weekend?
- YES, there is limited floor and wall space available in a shared room for rent at Erector Square. Spaces are first-come, first-served however Erector Square management reserves the right to make final decisions based on availability and each artists’ individual space needs. Your rental fee can be paid through Artspace at the time of registration.
- New this year for Erector Square Artists:
- The cost to rent temporary space at Erector Square can now be taken care of while you register for City-Wide Open Studios (here). You will not have to make separate payment arrangements with Erector Square. The rental cost will be $8o in addition to the CWOS registration fee. There is limited wall and floor space available on a first come, first served basis, so we encourage you to complete your registration as soon as possible.
- If you rent for the weekend you may move in starting Wednesday, October 16 and you must move out by 5 pm on Monday, October 21.
- PLEASE NOTE: Artspace works in close partnership and cooperation with Erector Square management to design for maximum participation while being respectful to neighbors and year-round tenants. After registration, Erector Square management will be in touch with you to review your space needs and confirm your rental agreement. ONLY artists who have responded to Erector Square management and agreed to use the space as requested will be included as Erector Square artists in our final materials. All others will be assisted in relocating their plans to our Alternative Space at Yale West Campus.
- What if I don’t yet have a studio address?
- Please contact email@example.com to explain your needs and plans. We will do our best to point you to possible solutions.
- What can I show in the central exhibition at Artspace?
- Each artist is invited to select a small (18” X 18” X 18”) work to be displayed on the wall or a pedestal for the central exhibition. This piece will remain on display at Artspace throughout the festival. Works must be from 2015 or later. Participation in the Festival Exhibition at Artspace is an integral part of the overall experience. See THIS PAGE for drop-off and pick-up dates and times.
- What happens if I sell my work during CWOS?
- Works sold at the central exhibition at Artspace are subject to a 30% commission. For sales made during your weekend, there is no commission. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation of a portion of your sale to help us cover the costs of the festival. We thank you for your generosity.
- I need to pull out after registering. What is the refund policy?
- Full Refund (less $10 admin fee) through Sept 3, which is a few days before the guide gets designed.
- 50% Refund between Sept 4 and Sept 19.
- No refund after main exhibition gridding, Sept 19.
What is the Studio Visitor Program?
- A highlight of the festival is the Studio Visitors Program, which offers a selected artists the chance to meet guest curators, gallerists, residency directors, and other esteemed arts professionals, for one-on-one studio visits. All CWOS participants are automatically eligible for consideration for this opportunity; selected artists will be notified in late September. Over the years, we’ve been honored to host Marcella Guerrero, Assistant Curator at The Whitney Museum, Herb Tam, Curator and Director of Exhibitions at the Museum of Chinese in Americas, and Horatio Ballard, Curator at the Williams College Museum of Art. The visits last around 45 minutes and offer the artist wide ranging feedback. Artists have told us that the experience pushed them past their own ideas and ways of thinking, gave them new references or connections to see in their work, and ideas to move their practice forward. These are informal and intimate conversations.
- How can I help publicize the CWOS Festival and my participation in it?
- The main way to assist with publicity and promotion is to set up your Artist Profile right away. Only then will you begin getting our press team to work on your behalf, as we point members of the media to the profiled artists. After you register, Artspace also will furnish you with a digital invitation for you to distribute. CWOS graphics and social media guides for Facebook Twitter, Instagram can be found on the Press Toolkit Page. Our marketing works in tandem with the efforts of our participating artists, so please spread the word via your own social media network.