AN AFTERNOON ACROSS THE POND
Be one of the first to experience the stunningly refurbished galleries of the Yale Center for British Art as part of your very own private tour led by Curator Gillian Forrester. Afterwards, enjoy tea for you and 11 other of your friends or family in the Founder’s Room, a room dedicated to and designed by the museum’s founder Paul Mellon. The Yale Center for British Art is home to the largest and most comprehensive collection of British Art outside the United Kingdom. Having undergone renovations and been out of the public eye for 16 months, this incredible resource is opening its doors once again this May.
NEVER GO HUNGRY AGAIN
It’s no wonder they call New Haven a foodie town. Try a taste at five major local eateries and see what all the fuss is about! Gift certificates generously provided by the following New Haven establishments:
- Caseus – sample from the fromagerie or enjoy an entrée made from only the freshest local ingredients.
- Meat & Co. – the Artspace staff can attest to the fact that there’s nothing more exciting than the $10 Monday lunch special here.
- Thali – in the heart of Ninth Square, this restaurant features the aromatic cuisine of India
- Barcelona – enjoy the tastes of Spain at this delicious tapas restaurant
- Elm City Social – savor the newest in Elm City dining and cocktails at this adventurous new eatery
FOR A RAINY DAY
Shane Frederick is a world-renowned expert on cognition and decision-making, but he is also a master at the board game Scrabble. Spend some time with New Haven’s own national Scrabble champion and work on your word-bending ability. Maybe you’ll get some lessons in logic in the process! Top off the afternoon with a scoop of Ashley’s famous ice cream. It’s a day for the whole family.
THEATER HOP ‘TIL YOU DROP
Who needs Broadway when world-class theatres abound in Connecticut? Be whisked away to another time and place while viewing professional productions on each of these award-winning stages:
- Hartford Stage – two tickets to the first show of the 2016-2017 season
- Long Wharf Theatre – two tickets to the opening night of Steve Martin’s Meteor Shower on October 5th, 2016
- Westport Country Playhouse – two tickets to any show during the 2016 season
- Yale Repertory Theatre – two tickets to Dianne Wiest in Happy Days any night during May 2016
FIND NIRVANA IN A COCKTAIL
If you’ve ever perused the menu at 116 Crown, you know they’re serious about cocktails. Join owner John Ginnetti, an expert mixologist and authority on all things spirit-related, for an informative and entertaining social event and learning experience. The Evolution of the Cocktail, from Classic to Contemporary, a class for six people, lets you sample some of the restaurant’s signature drinks while learning the stories behind them. Make sure to talk to Ginnetti about customizing your class to your group’s taste, linking it to a favorite spirit, genre, history, drink, or concept. The flexible design is heavenly, and up to you!
NOURISH YOUR BUSINESS AND YOUR BODY IN THE NINTH SQUARE
Energize your business with a three-month membership at The Grove, a co-working space on Chapel Street for nonprofits and independents. The Grove provides all the technical amenities you need plus a creative environment that inspires networking and collaboration. Keep your body strong and remain stress free as you cultivate your career with complimentary yoga classes from Fresh Yoga.
ELM CITY CULTURE VULTURES
This year, get a taste of the cosmopolitan with this package of tickets to some of New Haven’s world-class cultural institutions. Witness a large-scale international sporting event in your own backyard with courtside tickets to this summer’s Connecticut Open. Immerse yourself in the International Festival of Arts and Ideas with our combination of tickets and complimentary goodies. Finally, experience the classical sounds of world-class musicians with passes to any night this year at the New Haven Symphony Orchestra.
THE CELTICS EXPERIENCE
Spend a day with NBA legend Walter McCarty. This former Celtic star and current assistant coach will spend an afternoon on the Hopkinton (MA) Country Club golf course with you and three guests. Afterwards, enjoy a meal in the clubhouse. If golf is not your style, perhaps our alternative option will be more to your taste: dinner for four, with four tickets to a Celtics game afterwards. Auction Winners’ choice!
THE ARTISTS’ BOOKSHELF
Begin your own collection of art books with a stunning set of new releases by the Yale University Press:
- Andy Warhol | Ai Weiwei, edited by Max Delany of the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne and Eric Shiner of the Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, this collection places beautifully reproduced images by the artists alongside essays that analyze their work together, and interpret the scope of the artists’ influence today.
- Contingent Beauty is edited by Mari Carmen Ramírez, the Wortham Curator of Latin American Art and director of the International Center for the Arts of the Americas at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. It compiles works by more than twenty Latin American artists that have been incredibly influential to the modern art world.
- And others TBA
A YEAR AT THE MUSEUM
Experience a year’s family membership at some of Connecticut’s premier art museums:
- The New Britain Museum of American Art – Three centuries of great American art in one extraordinary collection: with works representing stylistic periods from 1740 to the present, the collection today numbers nearly 11,000 oils, watercolors, drawings, graphics, and sculptures.
- The Wadsworth Atheneum – the Wadsworth Atheneum was the first museum in America to purchase works by Caravaggio, Frederic Church, Joseph Cornell, Salvador Dalí, and Joan Miró, and was the first in the country to exhibit major surveys of works by Italian Baroque masters, Surrealists, and Picasso. The museum’s collectionhas grown to hold approximately 50,000 works of art that span 5,000 years.
- The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum – one of the few independent, non-collecting contemporary art museums in the country, the Aldrich prides itself on thought-provoking, interdisciplinary exhibits and programs. It is the only museum in Connecticut that is dedicated to contemporary art.
BE AN ARTIST FOR A DAY
Explore your creative side with a multi-session art class at Creative Arts Workshop in the Audubon Arts District. CAW offers classes and workshops for adults and young people in photography, painting, sculpture, printmaking, jewelry, pottery, digital media, book arts and more.
1980s HOUSE PARTY
DJ Dave Coon (by day, architect at the renown Pelli Clarke Pelli architects) will have you and your party dancing to the 80s beat. You’ve seen him spin great records at some of the best venues in town—and this one time, he’ll come to you. Get your place and décor ready for the crowd! Start with two beautiful vases from Fairhaven Furniture. Then, enjoy a shopping spree at Wave Gallery to find just the right accessories. It’s everything you need for the perfect throwback house party.
DAY OF CARPENTRY SERVICES
Common Vision, New Haven’s leading designers, builders and home remodelers offer you a day of labor from the firm’s top carpenters to help you make your next home renovation project come to life.
8 hours of service.
YOUR SPECIAL DINNER PARTY—CAPTURED IN A PAINTING BY MILFORD-BASED ARTIST EILEEN CAREY
Immortalize your special gathering of friends and family around a dinner table with a painting that captures the essence of your special occasion. Eileen will discreetly snap a few photographs of all those attending, and a short while later deliver a finished painting, truly a one-of-a kind expressive impression of conviviality–your way.